Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Phil's Shoe Fetish

Here are two excerpts from a short story I actually wrote a while ago, but that I still enjoy. If you want to read the entire thing, let me know! :) (*p.s. When I wrote this, I only knew the word fetish was associated with an obsession. It wasn't until a professor was reading this and was disturbed by my title that I learned what it can also mean. I have not changed the title yet and am still mulling it over.)

Using a magnifying glass, Phil Stubbs inspected a bowling shoe. He was turning the shoe over and over, pulling it closer to get a better look. Eli came up to the desk trying to get a good view on what was going on. He figured, this was Phil, no intelligent answer will come from this. However, curiosity got the better of him.
“What’re you doin’ dumb butt?” Eli asked as he moved his wheelchair to the side of the shoe counter.
“Well, if you are going to be so rude, I just won’t tell you.” Phil said to him, sticking his nose in the air and turning back to the shoe.
“Fine with me, it’s just a stinky ol’ shoe.” Eli started off towards the snack bar of Stuckeybowl when Phil jumped down from counter, clapping his hands loudly.
“Alright, I’ll tell you, but I get 85% of the money.”
“What’re you talkin’ bout?” Eli questioned Phil as he swung himself around.
“Promise me you won’t steal it or tell Shirley.” Phil said as he raised his right arm to the square.
Half-heartedly, Eli raised his hand and rolled his eyes. “I promise I… why not tell Shirley?”
“I have my suspicions that she wants in on the cash money, but she wants it all to herself.” Phil whispered to Eli.
Coughing from Phil’s bad breath, Eli turned and started once again towards the snack bar, shaking his head.
“Fine, I’ll keep all the riches and ladies to myself.” Phil shouted towards Eli.
“I don’t want any part of your weird games, Stubbs.” Eli declared, not turning around, already trying to forget about Phil.


***

Phil, amazingly taking his eyes off the bowling shoe, sauntered over to where Molly was left standing alone.
“Hey there sweet cakes, feeling lonely? Missing old Phil? Wanting some more of that sweet sweet lovin’?”
“Excuse me? Phil, what are you talking about?”
“Well why else would you be coming in here except to try to reclaim what you once had; the Phil-meister?”
“I came to talk to Carol but since she left, I think I’ll be going also.” Molly turned, disgusted, and walked towards the door.
“Fine! But when you feel like you need more of this, I’m just gonna have to refuse your request!” Phil shouted over the top of many costumers’ heads.
“Whatever Phil.” Molly rolled her eyes and went straight back out the way she came.

No comments: