Friday, June 10, 2011

"A Love Story"

I have been writing a story for some time now. I'm very very slow at this. I have so many things going on all the time, I tend to take forever. If I'm ever going to be a published author, I have to get better at my speed.... There is no title for this yet. So I call it "A Love Story" because simply put, that's what it is. The more I write, the harder it is. But so far, this is my longest piece of work. I want to just write and write and write and make it a full length novel. Even if it turns out to be utter crap. At least I took the time and effort to write one! Here is a portion of my story.


About two weeks after submitting my résumé and a cover letter to the publishing firm, I started to get depressed. Why hadn't I heard back from them yet? Lloyd and I hopped in my car and I headed over to my folks place. As I got out of the car, Lloyd jumped out and immediately started chasing the family cat. I noticed my dad hunched over a bed of flowers in the front lawn.
“Hey dad,” I said in my most miserable sounding voice ever.
He looked up. “Hey baby, what's going on?” He asked as he stood up, his hands covered in dirt and his bare back glistening from the glare of sweat and sun.
“Oh not much. But I guess that's the problem.”
“Honey, what's wrong?” Concerned, he put his hands on my shoulders and looked me straight in the eye. I made a mental check to wash my shirt.
“Oh dad, I just don't understand. Is this all there is to life? Just working to get money and then spend it all on bills, never having time for pleasure, fun or joy? Are we meant to work so hard on meaningless things only to get nowhere with the things we love? “ I blurted out exasperated.
“Rach, Rach, Rach! It's ok! You can start all over if you need to. There are more fish in the sea. You know, I could set you up with my friend Bill's kid. Granted he's 37 but that shouldn't matter, right?" He looked at me with his goofy grin.
“What are you talking about dad?”
“What? I thought we were talking about guys.” He had said so innocently.
“No, dad. I mean my job. I'm getting nowhere in life being a secretary. Maybe if it was something I was aspiring to do or if I was still in college trying to pay tuition. But I want to have time free to write, to experience the world! I'm sick of just staying in one place in life. I don't feel like I'm moving. If anything, I'm trapped under the watery depths of a consistent career to nowhere and I can't escape to even catch a breath.”
“Whew. Those are mighty big thoughts. Let's discuss this inside where it's not so hot. I think your mom made some cookies.”
I followed behind him and paused to call out for Lloyd. I sat down at the counter and a stool. Reaching for a fresh chocolate chip cookie, I sighed.
“Sounds like someone has a lot on her mind.” My mom stated as she put another batch in the oven.
“Oh, no. I'm just anxious I guess.”
She pulled off her oven mitts and leaned on the other side of the counter toward me.
“What's up, Rachel?”
“Mom, I'm just ready for the next chapter in my life. This one is so boring. It's like the filler chapter authors put in between really exciting events. The only problem is, nothing is happening and the chapter is the length of a novel. A novel no one wants to buy.”
“Ah, boys.”
“No! Mom,” I said blushing. “Jeez, what's up with you and dad? This isn't about guys. I just . . . I just want something to freshen up life, that's all.”
“Right. Because at 25 years of age, you are content enough to let the only man in your life be a two year old puppy.”
Sensing the subject had turned to him, Lloyd bounded over to my stool and started jumping up on my leg. His eyes were so happy and his tongue lolled out of his mouth. I picked him up and put him in my lap. He lay down and let me pet him.
“Ok fine. Maybe a guy would make things more interesting. At least I'd have something to write about—or to.”
“Have you thought about finding a new job?” She implored with half a cookie in her mouth.
“Well, yeah. I actually applied to this big publishing firm two weeks ago. It sounded absolutely perfect. I just haven't heard back from the yet. I bet it's just really competitive.”
“And why should that be a negative thing? You got a 3.85 GPA from the University of Washington. Anyone would be lucky to hire you. You just give it time. They'll call you. I'm sure of it.” And with that, she ended any further discussion, starting to do the dishes.
I held onto Lloyd and moved to the couch. Dad was nowhere to be seen. I bet I got too emotional for him so he went into hiding. I laid down and turned on the T.V. I flicked through channels for about four minutes before I became really bored. I turned it off. Lloyd was restless and jumped down, probably to go search for some food . . . or Whiskers.

* * *

Hugh revved his vespa and plummeted down the steep Italian hillside. The smell wafting from the flowers was intoxicating. He skidded to a stop and bent down to grasp a dozen of the multi-hued florets in his fist. He had to make today the most prefect day of all time, for he was finally declaring his love to the woman of his dreams, Ra-Kelle. He was to make her his wife.
Picking up speed once more, he fled down the dewy hillside toward that flighty temptress. The early morning sun cast a faint orange glow which seemed to ignite the view of the village in a blanket of fire.
Hugh drove down the winding cobblestone streets, the wind whaling his hair about his face. A dog burst forth from an alley-way startling him. As the barks faded with the distance, Hugh decided nothing could dissuade him from his course. The fates were with him now as he'd found his one true love.
Turning onto her street, Hugh felt a flurry in his stomach. He had come at long last to this moment of truth.
The front door stood ajar, laying off its hinges. Ruptured watering jugs caked the pavement in a muddy mess. A note was attached to the door frame.
She was gone.
Taken.

* * *

“Sweet! Cookies!”
I opened my eyes slightly to see what had disturbed me.
It was my brother.
“Hi, Joe. How's the exciting life of a teenager?” I asked, thick with sarcasm.
“Hmmm, let me think. No bills? Good. Fresh, homemade cookies from mom? Good. A Saturday full of water-skiing? Yeah, it really does suck to be me.” He stated ever so biting. He grabbed a few cookies and shoved one in his mouth as he leaped over the couch, almost landing on my feet.
“Jeez, watch it.”
“So, who's Hugh?” He asked.
Feeling my blood pressure rise slightly, I blurted, “What?” alarmed.
“You were mumbling about him in your sleep.” He said, then began to mock me. “Oh, Hugh! How thoughtful. Hugh I love you, too. Yes, Hugh, I will.” Being the mature 17 year old Joe was, he started making out with the air.
“Oh stop it. Hugh just happens to be . . . a really popular name of . . . some gorgeous British men who have stolen the hearts of thousands of women across the world.” I said this so fast, hesitantly, and mumbled all at the same time. “ You know. Hugh Grant, Hugh Dancy, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Jackman, although he's Austrailian, it's still part of the U.K. and he has a beautiful accent too.”
“You forgot another Hugh. Hugh Heffner.”
“Oh shut-up.” I threw a pillow at him.
“So, this Hugh guy. You guys been dating for a while or . . . ?” He faded off.
“I'm not dating anyone. And I am not having dating issues. Man, what's with you guys today? Can't I be 25 and single without being a depressed, wallowing, lonely, and abnormal human being?”
“No.”
I stood up, grabbed Lloyd who was trying to dig under the laundry room door to get at the cat food and stalked out to my car. What a great idea. You're feeling depressed, go see the family. A lot of good that did.

What do you think? I'm trying to make this as easy and normal as possible. I'm definitely not going to be busting out a masterpiece like Harry Potter in my first attempt at a full novel. haha  Alright, enough of this! Off to the writing board!

No comments: